Recreational fires are permitted in residential areas of the borough provided they follow the guideline listed:
- No material other than clean wood, No propane, or natural gas may be burned EXCEPT for commercially available fire logs, paraffin logs, or wood pellets.
- Paper or commercial smokeless fire starters for the purposes of starting a fire
- Charcoal for the preparation of food only
- Fires may be no larger than 3′ wide by 3′ long by 2′ high.
- Fires must be at least 15′ from the nearest neighbor’s dwelling or inhabited area including the property line, roadway, sidewalk, or other public access areas. Rear Yard Area only.
- All wood-burning activities are prohibited on Air Quality Action days, with the exception of burning for the commercial preparation of food.
- Burning may be considered a nuisance due to the severity of the amount of air pollutants, the duration or frequency of the burning, the topography of the surrounding, or the meteorological conditions.
Smokey fire? Nuisance burning? Call ACHD's 24-Hour Complaint Line at 412-687-2243 or submit a form to the Allegheny County Superior Court.
Find out more about open burning.
View the Allegheny County Air Quality complaint form.